Seafood and cream sauce for vegans
Get creative with mushrooms and use king oyster stems to replicate scallops in this decadent pasta dish.
Coconut milk is the secret ingredient to making a rich, dairy-free creamy white wine sauce in this one-dish vegan dinner.
Vegan "scallops" over pasta with creamy white wine sauce recipe
- 2 cups bow tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance, divided
- 4-5 shallots, minced (about 1 cup)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon canned coconut milk
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest, divided
- 4-5 king oyster mushroom stems, sliced and soaked in warm water for 30-60 minutes
- 1-2 tablespoons capers
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make your sauce. In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance, add the minced shallot and sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt. Stir to coat and saute for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for about 2 minutes more.
- Increase the heat to high. After about a minute, pour in the wine and let reduce for about 30 seconds. Turn the heat back down to medium, then add in the broth. Let simmer and reduce for a few minutes. Add the coconut cream and stir to combine, then add half the fresh parsley and half the lemon zest.
- By this time, the pasta should be done. Using a slotted spoon, drain and transfer the cooked pasta straight from the pot into the sauce. Stir to combine. Let simmer on the lowest heat possible while you prepare the scallops.
- In a separate skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance over medium heat. Remove the mushrooms from the water (no need to dry them), then add them to the skillet and cover. Allow the mushrooms to soften for about 7 minutes. Remove the lid and let the liquid evaporate. The mushrooms will develop a slight caramelized color. Flip the mushrooms over and let the other side brown. Once both sides have browned, remove from heat and add the mushrooms to the skillet with the pasta. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the pasta to serving bowls and sprinkle with the leftover parsley, lemon zest and capers. Sprinkle with a fresh cracked pepper and serve immediately.
More Daily Flavor
Sweet and sticky cashew tofu
Buffalo chickpea soft tacos
Vegan farro "crab" cakes