A Rich Creamy Sauce Made From Sweet Potatoes!
Looking for a chunky, sweet and unique fall recipe? Forget regular mac 'n' cheese and make this creamy, chunky and decadent sweet potato and pork belly recipe.
We love this mac 'n' cheese because it uses those noodles you get in boxed mac 'n' cheese but is topped with a luscious and creamy sweet potato sauce instead of the weird powdered stuff. One bite, and you'll be absolutely hooked on this recipe!
Creamy sweet potato and pork belly mac 'n' cheese recipe
Recipe inspired by Naturally Ella
Serves about 6
- 3 cups macaroni noodles (we used the ones that come in boxed mac 'n' cheese)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- About 1/2 pound cooked pork belly, chopped
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water for about 8 minutes, or until al dente. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In another pan, heat butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add flour and mix with a whisk to thicken. Add milk, reduce heat to medium and heat another 4 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Place the insides of the sweet potato in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. Whisk the sweet potato into the cheese sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce over the noodles and mix in pork belly.
More unique mac 'n' cheese recipes
Baked pumpkin mac 'n' cheese
Roasted poblano macaroni and cheese
Decadent crawfish mac and cheese