Mini Parmigiana Bites Oozing With Goodness
Parmigiana or eggplant Parmesan, that wonderful Italian eggplant dish, can now be enjoyed in individual servings. These stacked-up eggplants with cheese, tomato sauce and basil in the middle are delicious!
Parmigiana is usually cooked in shallow containers. We came up with a simple eye-catching way to enjoy this delicious eggplant dish by stacking up the ingredients. No more messy slices!
Parmigiana bites recipe
Yields 10–12 bites
- 2 Italian eggplants
- Rock salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil (or olive oil)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan), grated
- 14 ounces tomato puree
- Dried oregano
- 7 ounces mozzarella, chopped in small pieces
- 20-24 fresh basil leaves
- Slice eggplants into round pieces. Sprinkle with some rock salt. Place them in a colander, sprinkling rock salt on each layer. Put a plate on top of the eggplant and something heavy on it. Leave for an half an hour until the liquid seeps out.
- After the liquid seeps out, rinse under the faucet and squeeze to get rid of the excess water. Pat them dry with paper towels.
- Over medium heat, saute the garlic in a medium saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil. When it colors, discard it then add the tomato puree. Cook for at least 20 minutes on low heat. Season with salt, pepper and dried oregano. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, brown both sides of the eggplant slices. When they are cooked, place them on a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Set aside.
- Prepare an oiled baking dish. Put one slice of eggplant on it. Spoon some tomato sauce. Add some mozzarella, Parmesan, then basil. Repeat it twice. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Repeat the procedure until you finish all the ingredients.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 360 degrees F for 20 minutes.
More eggplant recipes
Oven-baked eggplant fries
Caponata recipes: Italian eggplant recipes
Baked pasta in eggplant crust recipe