Fresh organic ground chicken breast, sweet apples and fresh herbs make up this delicious homemade breakfast sausage recipe.
This homemade sausage is so easy to make at home, you may never buy it from the store premade again. We used freshly ground organic chicken breast and mixed it with a combination of sweet flavors from the apples along with earthy flavors from the sage and fennel. Making a batch and freezing it will save time and lots of money. Plus, it's all natural and contains no nasty chemicals or preservatives.
Homemade chicken apple and sage sausage patties recipe
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Yields 14-16 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional oil for sauteing sausage
- 1 small sweet onion, finely minced
- 2 sweet apples such as Fuji, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 pound organic ground chicken breast
- 1/3 cup fresh sage leaves, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil and saute the onion until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add in the diced apples and continue to cook another 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In a large mixing bowl add the ground chicken, the onion and apple mixture and remaining ingredients. Mix very well and form into patties about 1-1/2 inches round.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the same pan used to cook the onions and apples, add about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Begin to brown the patties in small batches cooking about 2 minutes per side. Place the browned patties on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the patties for about 10-12 minutes or until completely cooked through. Store in refrigerator or freeze for later use.
More sausage recipes
One-skillet spicy sausage pasta
Baked ziti with sweet Italian sausage
Shrimp and sausage jambalaya