Spicy vegan sausage recipe
Heavily adapted from Post Punk Kitchen
Makes 4 sausages
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Fresh Thai chilies or habanero peppers, sliced to taste
- 1 tablespoon hot chili oil
- 1 small shallot, grated on a microplane
- 1 head roasted garlic, pureed (or 2-3 raw garlic cloves, grated on a microplane)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1-1/2 cups cold vegetable broth, plus extra if needed
- 2 cups vital wheat gluten
- Toasted sesame oil
- In a large glass bowl, combine beans, Sriracha, five-spice powder, chili peppers, hot chili oil, grated shallot, pureed garlic, paprika, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, fennel seed and chickpea flour. Mix well. Taste the mixture and adjust any spices as needed.
- Add in the cold vegetable broth and mix until well combined. Add in half of the vital wheat gluten and stir until well combined, then add in the rest of the vital wheat gluten and stir until smooth. The mixture should be soft, adhere together and all of the vital wheat gluten should be completely absorbed. Add a bit more cold broth if needed.
- Divide the mixture into four equal pieces. Roll each piece into a cylindrical shape. Place a piece of foil on your counter and drizzle with a little toasted sesame oil in the middle. Place the sausage of top of the oil and roll it up tightly, twisting the ends to create a seal. Repeat for remaining sausages.
- Place the foil-wrapped sausages in a bamboo steamer or other steamer basket. Place the steamer into a larger skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Fill the pan with enough water so it comes halfway up the steamer basket, but does not touch the bottom part of the steamer where the sausages sit. Place the lid on top of the skillet and steam over medium heat for 40 minutes.
- Remove the sausages from the steamer and let cool. If you are not serving right away, keep them wrapped in the foil and sealed in a zip-closed bag in the refrigerator.
- To serve, slice them into 1/4-inch thick slices and quickly sear in a hot skillet with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.
More Daily Flavor
Vegan shiitake bacon
Vegan spicy pumpkin soup
Vegan cauliflower jerky