Perfect to serve while you watch the game on TV or simply as a picnic-style meal, this Sunday dinner recipe for pulled chicken sandwiches is fun and flavorful!
Entertaining a group of people on game day? Then this Sunday dinner recipe for pulled chicken sandwiches is what you need! Whether you've got a gang to feed, or you're just looking for a fun family meal to serve, these sandwiches hit the spot.
Not only are pulled chicken sandwiches tasty, but they're easy to put together. Whether you make your own barbecue sauce and coleslaw (try the recipes below) or buy them prepared, these sandwiches taste great!
Pulled chicken sandwiches recipe
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 2/3 cup prepared barbecue sauce (or try this all-purpose barbecue sauce recipe)
- 2 cups prepared coleslaw (or try this creamy slaw recipe)
- 4 sandwich buns, split in half
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper, and mix together.
- Place the chicken breasts on a flat work surface and pat the mixture onto each side of the chicken breasts.
- Grill the chicken over medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side or until done. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services notes that a safe internal temperature for chicken breasts is 165 degrees F as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Slice each chicken breast into 3 pieces with a knife. Use two forks to pull apart the chicken slices into shreds.
- Place the barbecue sauce in a large saucepan over low heat. When it's warmed through, add the shredded chicken to the barbecue sauce, and stir to coat it.
- Evenly divide the coated chicken between the 4 sandwich buns, top with the coleslaw and serve immediately.
Pull together a great meal!
More Sunday dinner recipes
Cherry-studded chicken salad wraps
Skillet chicken fajitas