Roasted pumpkin and Thai flavors pair perfectly in this creamy Asian-inspired vegan soup.
Vegan spicy pumpkin soup with lemongrass and coconut milk recipe
- 1 medium-sized pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped galangal root
- 2 tablespoons chopped lemongrass hearts
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce or 1 teaspoon red curry
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegan fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Chopped basil (for garnish)
- Red pepper flakes (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Using a large serrated knife, slice the top of the pumpkin off and discard. Then slice the pumpkin in half. Remove the stringy insides and seeds. If you'd like to roast the seeds, rinse them off and place on a kitchen towel to dry.
- Place each of the pumpkin halves, flesh side down, in a large glass dish. Add a bit of water to the bottom of the dish and place into the oven to bake for about 1 hour. The pumpkin is done when it pierces very easily with a fork. Once it is cooled, scoop out the insides and place to the side. You should get about 4 cups of roasted pumpkin.
- For the soup, melt the Earth Balance in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onions until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, galangal root and lemongrass hearts. Saute for about 1 minute. Turn up the heat to medium-high and add in the Sriracha or curry, brown sugar, rice vinegar, vegan fish and soy sauce. Cook until thickened and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mirin.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the roasted pumpkin and vegetable broth to the pot. Stir until well combined and simmer until the mixture comes to a low boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the coconut milk.
- Blend well with an immersion blender (or in a blender in small batches) once cooled. Reheat if needed.
- To serve, garnish with the roasted pumpkin seeds, chopped basil and/or red pepper flakes, if desired.
To roast the pumpkin seeds for garnish, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Toss the seeds in 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance and a splash of soy sauce and spread out seeds on a baking sheet. Roast until crispy, about 30 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
More Daily Flavor
Vegan shiitake bacon
Vegan farro crabcakes
Vegan cauliflower jerky