There's nothing more comforting than a big bowl of stew on a cold fall or winter day. This pumpkin and pork version is fall-apart tender and full of aromatic fall spices. Your house will smell amazing as it cooks and your mouth won't be disappointed when you taste it. Serve with crusty bread or a cornbread muffin and dig in!
Pumpkin and pork stew recipe
- 2-1/4 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, seeded and peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups) (*alternatively, you could use butternut squash or any other hardy winter squash)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the pork generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown the pork on all sides and transfer to another dish. You will probably have to do this in 2-3 batches to avoid overcrowding the pot.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and add the chopped onions. Saute for about 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and all the spices. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula and cook for another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes with their juices, the apple cider vinegar, pumpkin and the pork to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth (it should just cover the top of all the ingredients in the pot), stir and bring to a boil.
- Lastly, add the chopped sage and season once more with salt and pepper. Stir, cover and transfer to a 325 degree F oven. Cook for 2-1/2-3 hours until the liquid has reduced and the pork is fall apart tender.
More stew recipes
Bratwurst and chicken stew
Cranberry short rib stew recipe
Hearty beef stew