Pancetta mac and cheese panini recipe
Makes 6 sandwiches
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound (12 slices) pancetta, thinly sliced
- 12 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and reserve.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Whisk in flour until well combined. Gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, until fully incorporated, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cream cheese, then gradually whisk in cheddar, Asiago and Romano cheese until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cheese sauce to pasta and stir to combine.
- Place 2 slices of pancetta each on 6 slices of bread, then top with a generous scoop of prepared macaroni and cheese. Place another slice of bread on top to create a sandwich. Repeat with remaining slices of bread and macaroni and cheese.
- In a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat, melt remaining butter. Place sandwiches in pan and grill, flipping once, until bread is golden and filling is heated through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
More Daily Flavor
Chorizo macaroni and cheese
Broccoli chicken macaroni and cheese
Avocado, white cheddar and tomato grilled cheese