Looking for a meatless side dish? Maybe even a main course? This simple stuffed acorn squash totally fits the bill!
This is the perfect vegetarian side dish for a big dinner or a perfectly light dinner option for Meatless Monday. We stuffed our squash with a mixture of nuts, dried fruit and some hints of cinnamon. You're going to love this dish!
Nut-stuffed acorn squash recipe
- 1 acorn squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-size bowl add walnuts, cherries, raisins, ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Using your hands, work in the butter until it's equally distributed throughout the mixture.
- Fill the squash cavity with equal amount of the nut mixture.
- Add squash to a baking sheet and lightly cover with foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Pierce the squash to make sure it's fully cooked, remove from the oven and enjoy.
More squash recipes
Squash curry with brown rice recipe
Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti squash recipe
Acorn squash with wild rice recipe