A healthy kind of Asian skewers with grilled chicken and tofu accompanied by a delicious peanut sauce. Most peanut sauces are done with peanut butter, but with our version, we used 100 percent peanuts, pounded to a paste the old way, with a mortar and pestle. You can really taste the big difference.
Chicken and tofu skewers with peanut sauce recipe
Makes 6 sticks
- 16 ounces chicken fillet, sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 lemon, juice (you can adjust the amount)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Ground black pepper
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, crushed
- 9 ounces tofu, cubed
- 24 fresh bay leaves
- 6 barbecue sticks
- Sesame oil for brushing
- Peanut sauce (see recipe below)
- Prepare the marinade for the chicken the night before by mixing the soy sauce, lemon juice, sugar, pepper and ginger. Leave the chicken in this marinade in a sealed container inside the refrigerator.
- With the barbecue stick, insert a cube of tofu first, followed by a bay leaf then a slice of chicken that has been rolled to make it easier to insert in the stick. Repeat again then end with a cube of tofu.
- Brush all the sides of the chicken and tofu with the sesame oil.
- Grill the skewers on a hot grill and brown all sides. Brush with the sesame oil if needed.
- Serve hot with the peanut sauce.
Peanut sauce recipe
- 1 cup toasted peanuts, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water (plus a little bit more to make it more liquid)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Over medium fire in a small saucepan, saute the garlic in sesame oil. When it starts to sizzle, add the sugar and soy sauce.
- When the sugar has melted, add the peanuts. Mix for 1 minute.
- Add the water and cook. Turn off the fire before it boils.
- Adjust the consistency with the water. Add more water if you find the sauce to be too thick, then mix well.
More recipes with tofu
Tofu with spinach and chickpeas recipe
Crispy panko tofu bites recipe
Spicy (tofu) banh mi sandwiches recipe