Chorizo macaroni and cheese recipe
Adapted from Simply Recipes
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- Olive oil
- 6 ounces Mexican chorizo, casing removed
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8 x 8-inch baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain well. Reserve.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until dry and crisp, about 2 minutes, breaking up the chorizo with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add the red onion, bell pepper and jalapeños. Cook until the onions begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour until well combined, then gradually whisk in the milk and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cooked macaroni, corn, black beans and lime juice.
- Spread the macaroni into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the panko evenly over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
More Daily Flavor
Beef enchilada casserole
Spaghetti and lemony garlic brown butter sauce
Creamy Cajun shrimp linguini