Grilled vegetable salad recipe
- 12-14 okra
- 12-14 green beans
- 2 summer squash or zucchini, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 ears of corn, shucked
- 2 Japanese eggplant, cut into 1-inch strips
- 3-4 mild-medium heat peppers, like poblano or Anaheim
- 4-5 kale leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4-5 green onions, finely chopped
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- Thai basil leaves for garnish
- Mint leaves for garnish
- 1/3 cup toasted nuts (like pecans, walnuts or slivered almonds)
- Asian fish sauce vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Toss the okra, green beans, summer squash, corn, eggplant, peppers and kale lightly in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot, grill the vegetables in batches. When charred and tender, remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut the okra in half lengthwise, cut the green beans into 1-inch pieces, cut the corn kernels off the cob, slice the peppers into thin strips and roughly chop the kale.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add a few teaspoons olive oil and saute the green onions for a few minutes until tender. Stir into the cooked wild rice.
- Layer the wild rice in a large bowl or on a platter. Top with the grilled vegetables. Garnish with basil and mint leaves. When ready to serve, pour the vinaigrette over the grilled vegetables and top with the toasted nuts.
Asian fish sauce vinaigrette recipe
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1-2 Thai chilies, thinly sliced
- Whisk all the vinaigrette ingredients together.
More Daily Flavor
Romesco sauce with roasted vegetables
Tuna, white bean and roasted fennel salad