To complete your appetizer spread, serve this mouthwatering cured salmon with mini rye toast, cheese, mustard and thinly sliced shallots.
Homemade gravlax recipe
Makes about 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted and crushed coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons toasted and crushed fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons alcohol (such as Ouzo or Aquavit)
- 1/2 bunch dill, roughly chopped
- 1 pound side of salmon, skin on with pinbones removed
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, sugar, paprika, black pepper, and coriander and fennel.
- Spread out a large double layer of cheesecloth (large enough to wrap the sides back over the top of the piece of salmon). Spread 1/3 of the salt mixture on the cheesecloth. Place the salmon on top and cover with the remaining salt mixture, rubbing all over the top of the salmon. Pour the alcohol over the top and scatter the dill over the salmon.
- Wrap in the cheesecloth and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place in the refrigerator and let cure for 48 hours.
- Unwrap the salmon and rinse under cold water to remove the salt mixture. Pat dry and slice on a bias into paper-thin slices.
More Daily Flavor
Heirloom tomato galette
Tuna, white bean and roasted fennel salad