Golden beet gazpacho recipe
Makes 2-1/2 cups
- 3 large (about 1 pound) golden beets
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 large cucumber, roughly chopped (reserve a few tablespoons for garnish)
- 1/2 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds, plus extra for garnish
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Trim leafy ends off the beets. Drop the beets in the water and boil until fork tender, about 30 to 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel the skins off the beets. Roughly chop and place the peeled beets in a blender.
- Meanwhile, roast the peppers (poblano, red bell and jalapeño) on an open flame until charred on all sides. Place in a paper bag and seal for 10-15 minutes to loosen the skins. Peel off the charred skin and remove the stems and seeds. Place half the poblano, half the red bell pepper and half the jalapeño in the blender. Dice the remaining peppers and reserve for garnish.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend to a smooth puree, adding enough water or broth to desired consistency. Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Serve chilled, garnished with reserved diced peppers, cucumbers, a drizzle of olive oil, chopped Marcona almonds and chopped chives.
More Daily Flavor
Chilled pea soup
Red lentil coconut curry soup
Yellow tomato lemongrass soup with mussels