Chilled pea soup recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, white and tender green parts, thinly sliced
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, thinly sliced
- 2 (10-ounce bags) frozen baby peas (or fresh peas)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh mint, thinly sliced
- Dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche
- Lemon zest
- Fresh crabmeat
- Crumbled bacon
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot. Add the celery, onion and leek. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 6-7 minutes. Add the stock, salt and pepper to taste and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a blender (reserving the stock).
- In the meantime, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the sugar snap peas and cook for 3 minutes. Add the baby peas and parsley and cook for another minute. Drain.
- Add the cooked peas and parsley to the blender with the other vegetables. Process until very smooth.
- Blend in stock, little by little, until desired consistency is reached. Taste soup and season with salt as needed.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Ladle the chilled soup into individual bowls and top with desired garnishes.
More Daily Flavor
Salsify oyster bisque
Yellow tomato lemongrass soup with mussels
Red lentil coconut curry soup