Add tempeh to your next Meatless Monday meal. Tempeh is similar to tofu since it's a soy-based food, but it has it's own taste and texture.
For a Meatless Monday, this recipe for sesame-crusted tempeh with lemony vegetables makes a filling meal. The lemon keeps things light and fresh.
Tempeh is made from slightly fermented soybeans and is formed commercially into firm patties. Often, you'll find that barley, millet or other grains have been added to it. It's low in fat and high in protein and makes a great addition to a meatless recipe.
Sesame-crusted tempeh with lemony vegetables recipe
- 8 ounces tempeh
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce like Sriracha
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1-1/2 lemons, divided
- 8 ounces mixed green vegetables like broccoli florets, edamame, and green beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Slice the tempeh into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, hot sauce, 1 garlic clove, ginger and juice from 1 lemon. Whisk to combine and transfer to a large, zip-closed plastic bag.
- Place the sliced tempeh in the bag and gently massage it with your hands to coat all the pieces. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Just before you're ready to prepare the tempeh, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. When hot, add the mixed greens, salt and ground black pepper. Cook, stirring, until heated through and the vegetables turn bright green. Add the remaining garlic and lemon zest and toss to combine. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Add the sesame seeds to a shallow bowl. Remove the tempeh from the marinade. Dip one side of each piece of tempeh in the sesame seeds and set aside on a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a separate saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the tempeh and cook for about 6 minutes, turning once.
- Add the vegetables to a serving dish and squeeze the juice from half a lemon over them. Top with the tempeh and serve.
Time for tempeh!
More Meatless Monday recipes
Caprese-style sandwiches with basil vinaigrette
Grilled herbed tofu and chickpea salad
Chilled roasted asparagus soup with crunchy croutons