Looking for a flavor-packed option to add to your meatless menu? This perfectly cooked butternut squash curry is a great weeknight option because it can be prepared in less than one hour.
Squash curry with brown rice recipe
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups small diced butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium-size pot with a lid, add rice, vegetable stock and kosher salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 50 minutes completely covered.
- Take off the heat after 50 minutes, leave covered and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Bring a medium-size pot of water to boil over high heat. Add in butternut squash and cook for about 7 minutes until fork tender but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
- In a high-sided medium-large skillet, add butter and melt. Whisk in flour until you get a paste. Slowly whisk in coconut milk and make sure there are no large clumps.
- Sprinkle in curry powder and whisk. Add in squash and cook on low until the squash is warmed through, and the sauce starts to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Scoop out prepared rice and spoon squash curry on top.
Make this dish even easier by using frozen precooked/precubed butternut squash. Just add in the warm curry sauce and heat through.
More butternut squash recipes
Curried butternut squash soup recipe
Kale, butternut squash and pancetta pizza recipe
Butternut squash, sage and goat cheese tostada recipe