A Healthy Take On Tacos
These tacos are loaded with veggies and topped off with an easy, creamy, spicy avocado sauce. Who knew Mexican food could be so healthy.
Tacos are one of the most popular foods around. But sometimes they can be high-calorie bombs loaded with cheese, sour cream and meat. Here we removed all the junk and made this healthy version that is completely guilt-free!
Summer veggie tacos with spicy avocado sauce recipe
Serves 4 (2 tacos per person)
For the spicy citrus avocado sauce
- 2 small avocados, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 fresh orange juice
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small handful cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the tacos
- 8 taco-sized tortillas
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 sweet red, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a blender add all of the ingredients for the avocado sauce. Blend until smooth and creamy and set aside.
- Spray a medium-sized pan with cooking spray. Over medium heat, lightly saute the onions, peppers, zucchini and mushrooms until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the vegetables between each of the tortillas. Top with diced tomatoes and chopped lettuce. Garnish with avocado sauce and shredded cheese and serve immediately.
More Mexican-inspired dishes
Mini 7 layer dips
Easy huevos rancheros
Ultimate nacho grilled cheese