Yellow tomato lemongrass soup with mussels recipe
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 6 (about 3 pounds) large yellow-orange tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 1 quart lemongrass stock (see recipe below)
- 12 Thai basil leaves
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds mussels
- Thinly sliced green onion, sliced on a bias (for garnish)
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until the onion is translucent. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the lemongrass stock and add the basil leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes and then puree in a blender, adding the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, as needed, until the soup is smooth. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the soup to the pot. Bring to a simmer, add the mussels and cover. Cook until the mussels open. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Ladle into bowls. Top with sliced green onion.
Lemongrass stock recipe
Makes 1 quart
- 4 stalks lemongrass, dried outer leaves removed
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 8 thin slices ginger
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 6 cups cold water
- Place the lemongrass on a hard wooden surface and pound gently (with the bottom of a sauce pot or rolling pin) to release its oils.
- In a stockpot, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 40 minutes.
- Pour the stock through a strainer, pressing as much liquid as possible from the solids before discarding them.
More Daily Flavor
Salsify oyster bisque
Farro and bean soup
Potato leek soup