Learn How To Make An Italian Jam Tart
A jam tart or crostata is a simple baked dessert that's popular on Italian tables. Because it's so easy to make and so good to eat, it will become staple in your home, too!
First, let's explain the proper way to say it. Cros-ta-ta. Pronounce it like it's spelled literally. These jam tarts can be found everywhere in Italy, filled with different kinds of fruit jam. It's one of the most basic desserts that is usually served at home and in restaurants.
Cherry jam tart (crostata) recipe
Makes a 9-inch tart
- Knob of soft butter to grease tart pan
- Flour, to sprinkle in the tart pan
- 1 store-bought round shortcrust pastry dough for 9-inch tart pan or make your own (recipe below)
- 1 jar (around 13 ounces) cherry jam
- 1 egg for egg wash (in place of egg wash, you can also use a mixture of 50-50 jam & water)
- Brush the tart pan with the butter then sprinkle it with flour. Shake off the excess.
- Press the dough at the bottom and sides of the tart pan.
- Pass a rolling pin to top of the tart pan to cut off the edges.
- Using a fork, prick the bottom of the dough to prevent bubbles.
- Pour the jam on the dough then flatten with the back of a spoon.
- With the excess dough, create some strips using a pastry cutter or a sharp knife.
- Make a lattice (or however you want to form it) on the tart.
- Brush the egg wash (or jam & water mixture) on the dough.
- Bake the tart in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 35–40 minutes or until golden. Let it cool.
Shortcrust pastry dough recipe
Yields 1 pastry dough
- 12 ounces all-purpose flour (Double Zero or "00" is preferable)
- 7 ounces butter, cubed and cold
- Pinch of salt
- 5 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 untreated lemon, zest only
- 2 egg yolks
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, butter and salt. Pulse until the mixture becomes grainy.
- Add the sugar, lemon zest and egg yolks. Pulse some more until the dough becomes compact and slightly elastic.
- Form into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let it rest.
- Take it out from the refrigerator and flatten it on a working board sprinkled with flour.
More tart recipes
Gluten-free lemon tart recipe
Caramelized onion and Gruyere tart with fresh thyme recipe
Patriotic fruit tart recipe