A Hearty Dish With A Big Mushroom Kick!
Lentils are very healthy and rich in protein. To make the dish irresistibly good, add a good dose of porcini mushrooms and sausages. We promise you, the family will want more!
Let's face it, lentils are healthy, but they are not everyone's favorite. But if you think about all that protein they have, we give it a try anyway. Our suggestion? Add some really tasty porcini mushrooms (dried are tastier than fresh!) and sausages. That will make the family eat that good, healthy food.
Lentils with porcini and sausage recipe
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (also known as cepe)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 sausages, round slices
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 big tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup mushroom water (the water used in soaking the porcini)
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces lentils (average of 4 ounces per person)
- Soak dried porcini mushrooms in a bowl with 2 cups of lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, strain the mushrooms and save the water. Squeeze out the excess water from the mushrooms. Set aside both the water and the squeezed porcini mushrooms in separate bowls.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra-virgin olive oil, saute the sausages. When they are cooked through, add the garlic. Cook for a minute then add the onions. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the porcini mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the lentils.
- Add the vegetable broth, mushroom water and bay leaves.
- Let it boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil before serving.
More lentil recipes
Slow cooker yellow lentil dahl recipe
Lentils with pomegranate & peppers recipe
Lentil soup with veggies & pasta recipe