Celebrate A Fluffy Treat!
Who doesn't love cotton candy? Unless you're at a baseball game or carnival, you might not have the chance to enjoy it. Don't fret! This dessert will satisfy your craving.
July 31 is Cotton Candy Day! Enjoy the day's treat without getting sticky fingers. Try this recipe for cotton candy meringue cups with fresh berries. What a pretty presentation and a fun way to celebrate a beloved treat!
For an added touch, toss in a few sugared berries for some sparkle. To make sugared berries, first make sure your berries are completely dry. Brush a bit of egg white (be sure to use pasteurized eggs) on them and dip them in a small bowl filled with decorating sugar (or use a coarse sugar). Place them on a plate and let them dry for several hours. Read more from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services about how to safely cook with eggs.
Cotton candy meringue cups with fresh berries recipe
Yields 2 dozen
Adapted from Duncan Hines
- 4 egg whites from pasteurized eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 packet Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Cotton Candy Flavor Mix
- 2 cups fresh berries like blueberries and strawberries, diced
- Preheat your oven to the "Warm" setting (or 170 degrees F if your oven doesn’t have the "Warm" setting).
- Add parchment paper to 2 baking sheets and set aside.
- Allow your egg whites to come to room temperature, then add them to a mixer and beat on medium speed until they become white and foamy.
- Add the cream of tarter to the mix and beat until soft peaks form.
- Set a timer to 7 minutes and increase the speed of the mixer. Slowly add the sugar to the mix, about a tablespoon at a time, then the powdered sugar, also a tablespoon at a time. It's important to complete this step slowly, literally over the course of the 7 minutes.
- When stiff peaks form, slowly add the Duncan Hines mix and allow the meringue to beat for another few minutes.
- Add the mixture to a pastry bag (or use a plastic baggie with the corner tip cut off) and form a "cup" by piping 3 rings of meringue, one on top of the other, directly onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 90 minutes, then allow the cups to cool completely.
- Place the meringue cups on individual serving dishes and fill the inside of each with berries.
Celebrate cotton candy!
More dessert recipes
Sweet summer fruit panzanella
Fruit and lemon curd layered angel food cake