A Spicy Sweet Sandwich Made Easy
These Tex-Mex sloppy Joes are out of this world! Green chilies give these a spicy kick and the brown sugar adds just a hint of sweetness. Serve on toasted buns for a hearty flavorful dinner.
Who doesn't love a sloppy Joe! This old family favorite has been given spicy kick by adding green chilies and red pepper flakes. Adding the brown sugar helps give sweetness to this dish without overpowering the flavors. You can easily make this ahead and keep it in the refrigerator for up to three days, making this dinner even easier.
Tex-Mex sloppy Joes in the slow cooker recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 hamburger buns, halved
- In a slow cooker, add all of the ingredients except for the hamburger buns. Mix well and place the lid on the cooker.
- Set on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours or until the turkey is completely cooked.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns with your favorite side dishes.
More sloppy Joe recipes
Pizza sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joe grilled cheese
Beef & mushroom sloppy Joes