Switch Up Your Salad!
Take advantage of fresh, seasonal fruit this summer. Make a delightful dessert salad reminiscent of a traditional panzanella salad, but sweeter. The perfect summer dessert!
You might normally think of dinner salad when you think of panzanella — the Italian creation made using day-old bread. Switch things up this summer to create a fruit salad made with a sweet bread, summer fruit like berries and cantaloupe, fruit juice and a touch of mint.
To make angel food cake more heavenly, we cubed it, coated it with melted butter and toasted it to include in this lovely fruit salad. If you'd like, finish off this dish with a dollop of whipped topping and dig in!
Sweet summer fruit panzanella recipe
- 1 prepared angel food cake, cut into 1-2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cantaloupe, rind removed, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped mint, plus extra for garnish
- Whipped topping as garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of the cantaloupe to a food processor or blender and blend until very smooth. Set aside until ready to use.
- Add the angel food cake cubes to a large bowl and pour the melted butter over them. Toss to coat them.
- Spread the angel food cake cubes onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 6-8 minutes until golden, then remove from the oven.
- Add the fruit to a large serving bowl along with the angel food cake and fresh mint. Pour the blended cantaloupe juice over the fruit and cake, and toss to combine.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with a mint leaf and whipped topping, if using.
This summer fruit panzanella salad is heavenly!
More summer dessert recipes
Blueberry basil granita
Organic roasted cherry parfaits
Roasted strawberry, honey & balsamic shooters