No-Bake Gluten-Free Goodness!
S'mores are delicious, but they're a mess to eat! For all the taste with none of the mess, try these easy, no-bake gluten-free s'mores fudge bars. Summer's here!
Of course, we all love s'mores. Simple and classic, they just scream summer to me. But does anyone know why they're called s'mores? It can't be just because they make everyone cry for "some more!" That's not enough of an explanation to satisfy my children, who never tire of asking me about the name. Shouldn't they be too busy eating to ask questions?!
I do know one thing about s'mores. Even in their most basic layered form — a piece of chocolate and a marshmallow sandwiched between two graham crackers — they are simply a mess to eat! These s'mores fudge bars, made with a graham cracker crust, a simple three-ingredient fudge layer and a layer of super-simple homemade marshmallow, makes eating s'mores easier and more fun than ever. Plus, they're no-bake, so your kitchen stays cool as a breezy spring day. Enjoy!
Gluten-free s'mores fudge bars recipe
Makes 16 bars
- 1-1/2 cups crumbled gluten-free graham cracker crumbs (Schar and Kinnikinnick both make gluten-free graham crackers — crush them into small crumbs in a blender or food processor)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips are okay, too)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 packet (1 scant tablespoon) unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1/2 cup cool water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Make the graham cracker layer. Line a 9-inch square baking dish with crisscrossed pieces of parchment paper, greasing the pan and the parchment paper well and making sure the pieces of parchment paper overhang all four sides of the baking dish. These will be your handles for lifting the bars out of the baking dish. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until well-combined. Press the mixture firmly in an even layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place the baking dish in the freezer until firm (at least 10 minutes, but longer is fine).
- Make the chocolate fudge layer. Place the chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) in a medium-sized bowl and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the bowl with the chocolate. Stir the chocolate until it is melted and smooth. Add the sweetened condensed milk and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla to the melted chocolate, and mix to combine. Pour the mixture immediately on top of the graham cracker crumb layer and smooth into an even layer with a wet spatula. Set the baking dish aside.
- Make the marshmallow layer. In a small bowl, mix together the the gelatin and 1/4 cup water. Set the bowl aside and allow the gelatin to swell as it stands. Once the gelatin has swelled, transfer it to the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl to use with a hand mixer).
- In a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan, place the remaining 1/4 cup water, sugar and cream of tartar, and whisk to combine well. Cook the sugar mixture over medium-high heat until it reaches the softball stage, 238 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Remove the saucepan from the heat immediately, and pour the cooked sugar mixture down the side of the bowl of the stand mixer (or large mixing bowl) into the gelatin mixture. Add the salt and the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and whisk the mixture to combine well. Beat on medium-high speed with the whisk attachment (or with a hand mixer) until the mixture is white, thick and glossy. It should nearly triple in size. Scrape the marshmallow mixture on top of the fudge, and spread into an even layer.
- Place the s'mores fudge bars in the refrigerator until set (about 3 hours). Before serving, lift the s'mores bars out of the pan using the overhung pieces of parchment paper. Slice into 16 squares with a sharp, wet knife. Serve chilled.
More gluten-free recipes
Gluten-free peanut butter chocolate chip blondies
Gluten-free strawberry shortcakes
Gluten-free pudding pops