It may look like a lot of steps, but this salad is quite easy to prepare! Sear the tuna, prepare the greens and then fry the zucchini... throw it all together, and you're left with an amazing restaurant-style dish!
Cajun-dusted pan-seared Ahi tuna salad with fried zucchini strips
- 3/4 pound sushi-grade Ahi tuna
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 5 ounces mixed salad greens
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Prepared sesame ginger dressing
For the fried zucchini strips
- 3 small-medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise into very thin strips
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cold beer
- About 2 cups vegetable or canola oil for frying
- To prepare the Cajun seasoning, mix together in a small bowl, the 1 tablespoon of salt, 1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Lightly dust the Ahi tuna steaks with the Cajun seasoning on both sides (you may have leftover seasoning that you can store and use later).
- Heat a grill pan over high heat. Spray pan with cooking spray or add a thin layer of oil. Add tuna steaks to the hot pan and sear tuna 1-2 minutes on each side depending on desired level of doneness.
- Remove tuna from heat and slice against the grain of the fish into 1/4-inch slices. Set aside.
- To fry zucchini strips, heat up your oil in a deep-sided pot over medium-high heat until it reaches 375 degrees F.
- While oil is getting to temperature, gently toss your zucchini sticks in the 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Make the batter by mixing together the remaining flour, salt, baking powder and pepper. Gradually add the beer and mix gently. Dip your zucchini strips in the batter, dripping off any excess and then deep-fry until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Plate salads by tossing greens with your favorite ginger sesame dressing and then dividing up the greens, seared tuna, cucumber slices, tomato, red onion and fried zucchini strips. Serve with additional dressing on the side if desired.
To make this salad even easier, skip making the Cajun seasoning mix at home and go ahead and use your favorite store-bought spice rub!
More salad recipes
Kale, apple and bacon salad recipe
Caprese salad with brown sugar balsamic dressing recipe
Strawberry basil quinoa salad with champagne vinaigrette recipe