Evite Party Planning Expert Explains How To Entertain For The Summer Games
Hosting a viewing party is a great way to enjoy the excitement of the summer Olympic Games with your family and friends. This sports spectacle only occurs every four years, so make the most of this event!
Jamie Greenspan, a party planning expert at Evite, offers the following tips for hosting an Olympics viewing party. Armed with her advice, you're sure to host a bash that's a winner with your guests.
- "Choose the craziest sports fans you know, mix them with your most patriotic pals, add in friends who watch just for the tearjerker moments, then personalize your party with a Summer Games-specific invitation! Evite's new Summer Games Category offers a myriad of free invitations for the opening ceremony and beyond, to set the stage for a festive and patriotic party."
- "Re-open the ceremony. While those in the UK may enjoy the evening viewing of the opening ceremony, many of us stateside will be stuck at the office. Record the daytime broadcast and re-air it during the evening for your guests."
- "Line the walkway to your front door with paper bags — luminaries — featuring the flag of each country participating in the games, filling each with a light to symbolize the Olympic torch passing from country to country."
- "Have a face station set up at entry, so guests can sport their favorite team colors in a fun and photographable way. Use Evite's Party Booth smartphone app to snap shots of each guest so they can share their patriotism on social media or go old school and capture pictures on a Polaroid."
- "Invite guests to bring a red, white or blue dish for an opening ceremony potluck or assign each guest a different country to inspire the contributions to the potluck and embrace the different cultures the games bring together."
- "Add some background tunes to pump up the festivities. Whether a vintage Jock Jams CD or a patriotic mix of your very own, everyone loves a good party soundtrack."
- "Prepare a list of tricky and fun facts from past Summer Games and award kitschy prizes like temporary American flag tattoos. To add to the fun, ask each guest what his or her favorite Olympic memory is — whether it be Kerri Strug landing that gymnastics vault or wrestler Rulon Gardner winning the gold medal in the biggest upset in wrestling history."
- "Encourage guests to wear their most patriotic attire. Pass out scorecards to everyone in attendance so they can vote on the most "stylish," "creative" and "patriotic" outfits. Host a "Medal Ceremony" with Olympic-themed prizes like a bag of chocolate gold coins or canister of tennis balls."
More party-planning inspiration
Hostess how-to: Outdoor entertaining
Easy ideas for backyard entertaining
Recommended reading for stylish entertaining