This is one tasty casserole! Cooked quinoa is mixed with enchilada sauce, a mixture of veggies and black beans. Topped off with Mexican cheese and baked, this recipe is not only simple it's a super-healthy family meal.
Nothing compares to good Mexican food. Most times it can be loaded with cheese, heavy sauces and in some cases even deep-fried. Here we share a healthier take on Mexican food using quinoa, veggies and enchilada sauce to create a casserole. Quinoa is not only gluten-free, it is full of protein which is a great option for vegetarians.
Easy Southwestern quinoa bake recipe
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn
- 1 small can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Spray a large pan with nonstick cooking spray and add the sweet onion and bell peppers. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes to soften.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa, cooked vegetables, black beans, corn and enchilada sauce. Mix well and pour into the casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool several minutes. Garnish with sliced green onions and sour cream. Serve immediately.
This is a vegetarian recipe, however you can add ground turkey, ground chicken or lean ground beef if you prefer. Just precook the meat and mix it into the quinoa mixture before baking.
More quinoa recipes
How to cook quinoa
Strawberry basil quinoa salad
Herbed quinoa salad with toasted pine nuts and lemon