We all scream for
this ice cream!
Recreate a classic ice cream shop flavor at home. This dark chocolate ice cream with a peanut butter swirl will be your new favorite scoop.
One taste of this homemade frozen treat, and you'll never buy another pint from the grocery store again. It's extra-creamy and so decadent!
Dark chocolate peanut butter swirl ice cream recipe
Adapted from The Little Red House
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the dark chocolate in a large heatproof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup milk and the cocoa powder. Stir until completely combined, bring to a simmer and simmer for 30 seconds.
- Carefully pour the milk mixture over the dark chocolate and stir until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Using the same saucepan, warm the remaining milk, sugar and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks until thick and pale. Slowly drizzle the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking the entire time, until about 1/2 of the milk is mixed in with the eggs. Then slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the milk. Place the saucepan over medium heat and stir with a spoon until it is thick and bubbly. It should coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour the custard through a strainer into the chocolate mixture. Add the vanilla.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. Place the chocolate custard mixture over the water bath and stir until room temperature, then chill in the fridge.
- Once the mixture is cool, place in the ice cream maker and run according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Combine the peanut butter with sea salt.
- Once the ice cream is done, pour into a container and drizzle the peanut butter over the ice cream. Use a knife to swirl it into the ice cream. Place in the freezer to finish freezing.
More Daily Flavor
Avocado ice cream
Vegan coconut ice cream
Vegan cherry chocolate ice cream