A slice of heaven
You won't find any marinara sauce here. This barbecue chicken pizza is bursting with flavors of barbecue sauce, bacon and cilantro.
Who needs delivery when you can make homemade pizza so easily? There's nothing better than knowing exactly what ingredients are going into your dinner.
Barbecue chicken pizza recipe
For the dough
- 1 teaspoon instant or active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling dough
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
For the pizza
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, plus more for drizzling
- Olive oil
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 whole red onion, thinly sliced
- 4-6 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled
- Chopped cilantro
For the dough
- Pour the water into the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, then sprinkle the yeast over the top of the water. Let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Add the flour and salt. Turn the mixer on low and drizzle in olive oil until combined with flour. Turn the mixer to medium-low and allow it to knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Coat a mixing bowl with a light drizzle of olive oil and form the dough into a ball. Toss the dough in the bowl to coat in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and set it aside for 1 to 2 hours at room temperature or store in the refrigerator until you need it. (Note: If you have time, it's best to make the dough at least 24 hours in advance and 3 or 4 days is even better. Whenever the dough gets fluffy, just punch it down and re-cover it.)
- When you are ready to make the pizza, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Oil a baking sheet or pizza pan.
- Sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll out the pizza dough with a rolling pin. When the dough is thin, lay it on the oiled pan. Drizzle a little olive oil on the dough and spread it around with your fingers. Sprinkle the dough very lightly with salt.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the crust has risen and is lightly colored. Remove from the oven and top immediately or reserve until ready to eat.
For the pizza
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Salt chicken breasts on both sides, then place in an ovenproof dish. Pour barbecue sauce over the chicken and turn them over to coat. Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and chop. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the onions over the pizza crust, then add the chicken and bacon. Top with cheese. Drizzle the entire pizza with extra barbecue sauce.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and toppings are bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Cut and serve immediately.
More Daily Flavor
Pizza-stuffed pretzel rolls
Nutella and cherry pizza
Pepperoni and cheese-stuffed ciabatta