Pasta-Free Mac And Cheese
Don't feel full by eating too much pasta. This simple mac and cheese-inspired dish is delicious and uses quinoa instead of pasta. Talk about healthy!
Tired of eating pasta? Looking for way to cut down on carbs? This delicious macaroni and cheese-inspired dish is packed full of vegetables, cheese and just a touch of bacon. You could leave out the meat and have a delicious Meatless Monday meal.
Bacon quinoa mac and cheese bake recipe
Source: Adapted from MoniMeals
Yield 9 x 9-inch pan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1-1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9 x 9-inch dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and allow it to heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the onion and red bell pepper. Cook till soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and quinoa and give a quick toss. Pour in vegetable stock, salt and paprika. Let it boil and then cover the skillet and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs and milk. Add in quinoa mixture and mix quickly. You don't want the eggs to start cooking so if you stir fast it should not cause this to happen.
- Stir in 1-1/4 cups cheese and bacon. Add mixture to prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top of the mixture.
- Cook for about 35 minutes or until the mixture is browned around the edges are set.
More quinoa recipes
Fried Thai quinoa recipe
Apple quinoa parfait recipe
Strawberry basil quinoa salad recipe