Forget the spaghetti and meatballs. These slightly sweet Hawaiian-inspired meatballs are paired up with brown rice to create a filling and delicious meal. Who ever said meatballs can't be dinner?
Hawaiian meatballs and rice recipe
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar barbecue sauce, divided (plain sauce will work, too)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup plain panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- Green onion, chopped (optional)
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with a Silpat and preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, add half the pineapple and 3/4 cup of the barbecue sauce. Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl add remaining pineapple and barbecue sauce, green bell pepper, yellow onion, garlic, egg, panko breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, mix together until combined. Roll into 1-inch balls and add to prepared pan. Once all the meatballs have been made, cook for 20 minutes until the meatballs are fully cooked.
- Warm the sauce on the stove (or in the microwave) and toss with the meatballs before serving.
- While the meatballs are baking make, sure to prepare the instant brown rice according to the box directions.
- Serve meatballs over rice with a sprinkle of chopped green onions if desired.
More meatball recipes
Cheese-stuffed meatball recipe
Buffalo chicken meatball recipe
Spicy garlic baked meatball recipe