Red, plump, sweet strawberries can replace the classic cherries in this popular French dessert. You will love it just the same!
We don't need to wait for cherry season to enjoy clafouti. With all the red and ripe strawberries gracing the markets, it's a delicious alternative to the plump fruit.
Strawberry clafouti recipe
- 16 ounces strawberries, washed, hulled and halved (quartered if the strawberries are too big)
- 5 ounces granulated white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 ounces flour
- 8 ounces liquid cream
- 7 ounces milk
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur (like Disaronno)
- Butter (for greasing the baking pan)
- Mix the strawberries with 1/3 of the sugar in a bowl and leave for half an hour.
- Beat the eggs in another bowl, then set aside.
- In a third and bigger bowl, mix the flour, the remaining sugar, the beaten eggs and salt. Mix well.
- Add the cream and milk. Continue mixing. Add the amaretto liqueur. Mix well.
- Rub some butter in the baking pan.
- Put the strawberries in the pan then pour the mixture over them.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 360 degrees F for 40 minutes. To check if it's cooked, insert a toothpick or knife at the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, then it is cooked. If it doesn't come out clean, then cook it longer.
- Let it cool.
More strawberry recipes
Strawberry tiramisu recipe
Strawberry lemonade scones recipe
Strawberry and peach galette recipe