This weekend, whip up an indulgent breakfast. These mini ricotta doughnuts dipped in bittersweet chocolate or salted caramel sauce are worth the calories!
Forget the doughnut shop — moist, fluffy gluten-free ricotta doughnuts with a hint of citrus are only minutes away.
Gluten-free mini ricotta doughnuts recipe
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Cooking for Friends: Fresh Ways to Entertain with Style
Yields 16-24 doughnuts, depending on size
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup superfine rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Bittersweet chocolate dipping sauce (recipe follows)
- Salted caramel dipping sauce (recipe follows)
- Heat several inches of oil a small, heavy saucepan to 370 degrees F.
- While the oil is heating, combine the rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and whisk until blended.
- Working in small batches, drop heaping tablespoons of batter into the hot oil, turning occasionally, until the exterior is golden and the insides are cooked, about 4 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Lightly dust with powdered sugar and serve with bittersweet chocolate and salted caramel dipping sauces.
Bittersweet chocolate dipping sauce recipe
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan, heat cream until hot but not boiling.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals until soft. Stir until smooth.
- Whisk the hot cream into the melted chocolate until smooth.
Salted caramel dipping sauce recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the sugar and water. Heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil without stirring, washing down any crystals on the side of the pan with a wet silicone or pastry brush.
- Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream carefully as the mixture will bubble. Stir in the butter and salt.
More Daily Flavor
Gluten-free lemon tart
Flourless peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies
Vegan cherry chocolate ice cream