Stir things up on a Gluten-free Friday! This stir-fry recipe includes great flavors served up with a slight surprise: quinoa instead of rice.
For a Gluten-free Friday dish, try this chicken and broccoli stir-fry over quinoa recipe. Rice is often served with stir-fry dishes, but we've replaced it with quinoa for a nice alternative. The combination of savory soy sauce (make sure to use gluten-free soy sauce) and fresh lemon juice tastes amazing served up with the colorful broccoli and hearty chicken.
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Chicken and broccoli stir-fry over quinoa recipe
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup gluten-free chicken broth
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into strips
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions, then set it aside, keeping it warm.
- Combine the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of the chicken broth in a small bowl. Whisk it together until it's smooth, then set it aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the gluten-free soy sauce, sugar, and lemon juice. Mix it until the sugar dissolves, then set it aside.
- Add the canola oil to a large skillet or wok over high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook, constantly stirring, until done (about 3-5 minutes or when the chicken is no longer pink in the center). Remove the chicken from the skillet, place it in a bowl and set it aside.
- Add the broccoli to the skillet used to cook the chicken and reduce the heat to medium-high. Stir the broccoli, cooking it for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet with the broccoli, and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the cornstarch mixture to thicken the broth. Add the red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the mixture and toss all the ingredients a few times so everything is well coated with the sauce.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and place the mixture in a serving bowl. Sprinkle the lemon zest over the mixture.
- Evenly divide the quinoa among four plates, and top each with the chicken and broccoli mixture.
This stir-fry will satisfy!
More Gluten-free Friday recipes
Rice noodles with veggies and Thai basil sauce
Parmesan and almond-crusted cod
Spinach and white bean salad with avocado dressing