Create A Perfect New York Bagel
New York is home to some amazing cuisine, but one of our favorites are those chewy, amazing bagels. The ones that are so good, you don't put anything on them. If a trip to the Big Apple is out of the cards for you, make your own big New York bagels at home with this recipe!
These bagels may take a bit of time and patience, but the end result is worth every second. The key to authentic New York-style bagels is boiling to ensure you get that chewy, New York flavor. Once you get the recipe down, add fruits and other herbs for flavor!
New York-style bagels
Yields about 8
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (no less than 110 degrees F)
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour (don't use all purpose)
- Dash of salt
- Mix 1/2 cup of warm water with the yeast and sugar. Let sit until it starts to bubble, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and salt in to the yeast mixture, and stir with a wooden spoon. Pour half of the rest of the water into the flour mixture. Knead with your hands and add additional water to moisten the dough.
- Liberally flour a hard counter top. Knead the dough for about 15-20 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Lightly brush a large mixing bowl with oil. Place the dough in the bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise in a warm place for about an hour. Punch it down and let rest another 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each one into a round bun. On a floured surface, roll the dough until very smooth and perfectly round. Gently press a finger into the center of the dough to make a bagel shape. Stretch the ring to about 1/3-inch diameter. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and place the bagels in the water using a slotted spoon. Once the bagels float to the top. Flip them over and let sit for about a minute.
- Place the boiled bagels on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire cooling rack.
More bagel recipes
Homemade green bagels with chive cream cheese
Homemade bagels recipe
Bagel chips recipe