Looking For A Tasty, Carb-Loving Accompaniment To Serve At Your Easter Dinner? Try These Vegan Hot Cross Buns.
Looking for a tasty, carb-loving accompaniment to serve at your Easter dinner? Try these vegan hot cross buns.
Looking for a tasty, carb-loving accompanimentÂ to serve at your Easter dinner? Try these vegan hot cross buns.Vegan Hot Cross BunsIngredients:
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons 100 percent apple juice
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 cup confectionersâ sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or more for consistency
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
More vegan holiday recipes!
- In a small bowl, whisk together almond milk and vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes to make "buttermilk".
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine buttermilk, oil, sugar, and apple juice. Cook, stirring often, until brown sugar dissolves and the temperature reaches about 110 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with theÂ paddle attachment,Â combine 3 cups flour, yeast, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Blend on low to combine.
- Remove paddle and replace with dough hook. Add buttermilk mixture and blend on low to bring ingredients together. Increase speed to make a sticky dough. Add more flour a bit at a time until the dough becomes soft. Add currants and blend in.
- Place dough into a large bowl rubbed with oil, turning dough over to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until it has doubled in size, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down using your fist and dump onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 16 evenly sized pieces (consider weighing the portions on a kitchen scaleÂ to ensure they are the same size).
- Place dough balls onto a large baking sheet and cover with a lightly damp towel. Let rise for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.Â Use a sharp knife to make a shallow cross on the top of each bun.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until buns are lightly browned.
- While buns are cooling, whisk together confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and almond extract, adding more lemon juice, if needed, to make an icing. Transfer icing to a pastry bag and pipe icing into the cross indentation on each bun.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.