Craving a Mexican classic? Ditch the meat and enjoy these plump, tomato-infused bites tonight.
Albondigas in a garlicky tomato sauce makes for a hearty, belly-warming dinner. Traditionally, albondigas are made with meat. However, vegans can enjoy them by swapping in meatless meatballs.
- 2 (28-ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) package meatless meatballs
- Put all ingredients except meatless meatballs in a food processor. Pulse to break down tomatoes.
- Transfer mixture to a large pot over high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add meatballs, stirring to combine, and bring sauce back to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro.
More tasty vegan dinner recipes!
Layered enchilada casserole
Easy pita pizza
Broccoli sweet potato cakes