Looking For A Hearty Meat-Free Addition To Your Pasta? Try These Easy Vegetarian Eggplant Meatballs.
Looking for a hearty meat-free addition to your pasta? Try these easy vegetarian eggplant meatballs.
Looking for a hearty meat-free addition to your pasta? Try these easy vegetarian eggplant meatballs.Eggplant Meatballs
- 1 large eggplant, trimmed, sliced
- Olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil, drained
- 1 cup whole wheat dry breadcrumbs
More vegetarian recipes!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Use a sharp knife to slice eggplant crosswise in 1/2-inch slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and set aside in a colander for 10 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Brush eggplant with olive oil and lay in a single layer on 2 baking sheets.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Flip and continue to roast until eggplant is tender. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl beat eggs, cheese, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Finely chop eggplant and add to the egg mixture, using your fingers to mix ingredients.
- Add breadcrumbs and sun-dried tomatoes and continue to mix until mixture sticks together.
- Form into "meat"balls.
- Generously spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and lay "meat"balls in a single layer in the dish, leaving a little space between each one.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Use tongs to gently turn the "meat"balls and cook for 20 minutes. They are done when they are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and serve plain or toss with tomato sauce and serve on pasta.