Swoon your Valentine's Day date with this amazing vegan cheesecake from Annie and Dan Shannon's must-get cookbook Betty Goes Vegan: 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family.
Swoon your Valentine's Day date with this amazing vegan cheesecake from Annie and Dan Shannon's must-get cookbook Betty Goes Vegan: 500 Classic Recipes for the Modern Family
. Betty Goes Vegan? You bet!
Charmed by Betty Crocker, who has been an icon in American cooking for nearly half a century and still represents a certain style of the modern super-woman who can do it all, the Shannons were compelled to take on a cooking challenge. They set out to prove that any recipe could be recreated to satisfy vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores alike. With new classics, many inspired by The Betty Crocker Cookbook
, the Shannons have masterfully and mouthwateringly veganified comfort food recipes and everyday dishes, including Big Baby Hot Wings, Quiche Lorraine, Bacon Potato Cheeseburger Pie, Seitan Coq au vin, the following Turtle Cheesecake and more. Betty Goes Vegan
is hands-down a family-friendly go-to guide for every meal and occasion. In addition to surprising your Valentine's Day mate with a knee-weaking dessert, consider giving this vegan cookbook as a gift.Vegan Turtle Cheesecake
Recipe from Betty Goes Vegan
(Grand Central, February 2013) by Annie and Dan Shannon.
- 2 (8-ounce) packages vegan cream cheese (we recommend Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 2 cups vegan sour cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 vegan chocolate cookie piecrust (we recommend Keebler Ready Crust chocolate piecrust)
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- 1 batch Hot Fudge Sauce (or store-bought vegan chocolate sauce)
- 1 batch Caramel Sauce (or store-bought vegan caramel sauce)
More vegan dessert recipes!
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In your largest mixing bowl, blend the vegan cream cheese, vegan sour cream, and sugar using an electric handheld mixer until smooth.
- Add the vanilla, flour, and flaxseeds and mix for about a minute. It’s important to make sure there aren’t any lumps.
- Pour your creamy filling into the chocolate crust.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Check the center with a toothpick to make sure it’s solid.
- Pull the cheesecake out of the oven when it is solid to the touch and passes the toothpick test or when the top starts to crack a little and begins pulling from the sides.
- Cool on a wire rack for around an hour and then top with pecans and sauce.
- Refrigerate overnight and then enjoy this wonderful treat!