One Spoonful Will Have You Hooked
The Saturday Evening Post recently featured fave soups from celebrity chefs, including Emeril Lagasse, Melissa d'Arabian and Terry Walters. We fell in love with Terry Walters' sweet potato, corn and kale chowder. One spoonful will have you hooked, too.
This recipe is originally from Clean Food by Terry Walters. You can find it and the other celeb soup recipes at SaturdayEveningPost.com.
Terry Walters’ sweet potato, corn and kale chowder recipe
- 1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups rice milk, plus more, if needed
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 bunch kale, chopped into small pieces
- Water or stock as needed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion in oil until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, corn, thyme and stock, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add enough rice milk to cover the vegetables.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and add the dissolved cashew butter. Partially purée the mixture using handheld blender.
- Add the kale, return it to heat, thin it with water or stock to achieve the desired consistency and cook until the kale is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
More vegan recipes
Vegan classic coconut cream pie
Rosemary kale chips
Easy pita pizza