These Freekeh Stuffed Peppers Are A Fab Vegan Dinner Recipe That Can Also Be Frozen Individually For A Great Grab-And-Go Lunch. If You Have Any Of The Stuffed Pepper Filling Left, Toss It In A Whole Wheat Wrap Or On Top Of Some Greens For A Tasty Salad.
These freekeh stuffed peppers are a fab vegan dinner recipe that can also be frozen individually for a great grab-and-go lunch. If you have any of the stuffed pepper filling left, toss it in a whole wheat wrap or on top of some greens for a tasty salad.
These freekeh stuffed peppers are a fab vegan dinner recipe that can also be frozen individually for a great grab-and-go lunch. If you have any of the stuffed pepper filling left, toss it in a whole wheat wrap or on top of some greens for a tasty salad.Freekeh Stuffed Peppers
This recipe is from 30 Ways to Freekeh
, a cookbook written by Bonnie Matthews, co-founder of Freekeh Foods and Dr. Oz Wellness Warrior.
- 4 to 6 sweet peppers, sliced in half and seeds removed
- 1 (8-ounce) package Freekeh Foods cracked freekeh
- 2-1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 to 8 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can Aduki beans, or pinto beans
- 1 (12-ounce) jar of your favorite salsa
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 cups corn, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Option: For a cheesy spin, sprinkle shredded vegan cheese on top of peppers 20 minutes into baking time.More vegan dinner recipes!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To prepare the peppers, add about 2 inches of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add in the sweet peppers. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until theyâre slightly soft. Remove peppers from pot and set aside to cool.
- To prepare the stuffing, pour freekeh and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil for about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in tomato paste, onion and garlic. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes until the freekeh is tender. In a large bowl, add freekeh and all ingredients except the steamed peppers. Stir and set aside.
- To stuff the peppers, place the peppers in a 9x12-inch casserole dish. With a large spoon, carefully fill the peppers. The contents can come up above the edge of the pepper. Pour about 1/4 inch of water in the dish and place in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes.