Celebrate National Soup Month -- And Keep Your New Year's Diet Resolutions -- With This Low-Calorie, Flavorful Asparagus Leek Soup.
Did you know January is National Soup Month? To celebrate, we asked Maria Zoitos to share a healthy, delicious soup recipe for readers looking to keep their new year's diet resolutions. The maker of Maria’s Homemade, a line of prepared food sold exclusively at Westside Market NYC, gave us this easy, low-calorie green soup to dive a spoon into.
Did you know January is National Soup Month? To celebrate, we asked Maria Zoitos to share a healthy, delicious soup recipe for readers looking to keep their new year's diet resolutions. The maker of Mariaâs Homemade
, aÂ line of prepared food sold exclusivelyÂ at Westside Market NYC, gave us thisÂ easy, low-calorieÂ green soup to dive a spoon into.Asparagus Leek Soup
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed (reserve trimmings) and cut into 2-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 leek, well rinsed to remove sand, sliced with greens and whites separate
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 tablespoons long-grain white rice
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
More tasty vegan soup recipes!
- In a pot, bring 6 cups water, asparagus trimmings and leek greens to a simmer while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- In a skillet pan, heat the oil and vegan butter. Add the leek whites, onion and rice and cook until the onion begins to color.
- Using a ladle, add 1 cup of warm asparagus-leek stock to vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Strain the asparagus-leek stock and return to pot. Add vegetables and uncooked asparagus to stock. Simmer, partially covered, for 10 to 12 minutes.
- When soup has cooled, transfer to food processor and puree. Strain back into the stockpot.
- Season and add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- Drop the asparagus tips into boiling salted water and cook until tender. Garnish soup with asparagus tips.