I Love Peppers, Especially Poblanos. Stuffing Them With A Sweet And Savory Plantain Filling And Frying Them Is But One Of Many Mouthwatering Ways To Make Chile Rellenos.
I love peppers, especially poblanos. Stuffing them with a sweet and savory plantain filling and frying them is but one of many mouthwatering ways to make chile rellenos.
I love peppers, especially poblanos. Stuffing them with a sweetÂ and savoryÂ plantain filling and frying them is but one of manyÂ mouthwatering ways to make chile rellenos.Plantain-Stuffed Chile Rellenos
- 8 poblanos
- 4 ripe plantains
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 12 ounces panela cheese, diced
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Mexican crema or sour cream
More tasty vegetarian recipes! Â
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat grill to high.Place poblanos on grill and grill until blackened all over. Place them in a plastic bag and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel plantains and place them in a greased baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. Cut into chunks.
- Remove peppers from bag and slice each down the middle. Remove seeds. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute.
- Add brown sugar, currants, lime zest and juice, stirring to combine. Add plantain and season with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro and panela. Remove from heat.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites. Add the egg whites to a large bowl. Beat the egg whites with an electric beater until the whites are fluffy. Add the flour and the egg yolks and mix until completely incorporated. Â Stuff poblanos with plantain mixture. Close peppers and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat remaining 1 cup oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat.
- Dip poblanos into the batter and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Serve hot with crema.