Tender Roasted Vegetables Under A Flavorful Wheat Germ, Couscous, And Cheese Topping Make For An Impressive Vegetarian Holiday Side Dish Recipe. This Scrumptious Recipe Is Great With Zucchini, But Feel Free To Swap In Any Other Veggies You Have On Hand.
Tender roasted vegetables under a flavorful wheat germ, couscous, and cheese topping make for an impressive vegetarian holiday side dish recipe. This scrumptious recipe is great with zucchini, but feel free to swap in any other veggies you have on hand.
Tender roasted vegetables under aÂ flavorful wheat germ, couscous, and cheese topping make for an impressive vegetarianÂ holiday side dish recipe.Â Â This scrumptious recipe is great with zucchini, but feel free to swap in any other veggies you have on hand.Roasted Vegetable Gratin
Recipe courtesy of KretschmerIngredients:
- 1-1/2 cups sliced unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil), snipped into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup couscous, uncooked
- 1/2 cup Kretschmer Original Toasted Wheat Germ, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or Italian seasoning blend
More tastyÂ vegetarian recipes!
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a rimmed baking sheet and 9-inch pie plate or quiche dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, mushrooms, onion, pepper and vinegar and mix well. Arrange in single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft and lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven; cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add dried tomatoes and salt andÂ simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup wheat germ. Spoon onto bottom and up sides of prepared pie plate. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese andÂ top with the roasted vegetables. Pour egg over vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup wheat germ, 1/2 cup cheese and the basil. Sprinkle evenly over vegetables.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.