Spinach Cumin Rice Pilaf
Put this scented colorful and delicious rice recipe on your vegan holiday menu.
Fragrant, colorful, and delicious, this vegan holiday recipe can be served alongside your favorite festive dishes or stuffed in squash or other vegetables to serve as a complete meal.
Fragrant, colorful, and delicious, this vegan holiday recipe can be served alongside your favorite festive dishes or stuffed in squash or other vegetables to serve as a complete meal.Spinach Cumin Rice Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup medium-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups finely sliced spinach
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
More delicious vegan side dish recipes!
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Carefully stir in water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add spinach, zest, and juice and cook, stirring often, until spinach wilts.
- Transfer rice to a large bowl and add spinach mixture, mint, and flax seeds. Season generously with salt and pepper. Serve warm.