Polenta Isn't Just A Super Easy Dish, It Also Has Near Countless Variations. This Vegan Dinner Recipe Features Polenta Topped With Sauteed Wild Mushrooms And Toasted Walnuts.
Polenta isn't just a super easy dish, it also has near countless variations. This vegan dinner recipe features polenta topped with sauteed wild mushrooms and toasted walnuts.
Polenta isn't just a super easy dish, it also has near countless variations. This vegan dinner recipe features polenta topped with sauteed wild mushrooms and toasted walnuts. Vegan Polenta with Wild Mushrooms and Walnuts
- 1 cup coarsely ground corn meal (or dry polenta)
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth plus more for soaking mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce dried wild mushrooms of your choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces button or wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
More tasty vegan dinner recipes!
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together corn meal and water or broth. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring polenta mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed and mixture is thickened. Stir in butter, reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, place dried mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften mushrooms.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms start to release their liquid.
- Add shallots and garlic to mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tamari, thyme, and parsley and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Right before serving, stir walnuts into mushroom mixture.
- Fill serving bowls or plates with polenta and top with mushroom mixture. Serve immediately.