When A Heavy Mexican Meal Doesn't Appeal, Make This Basic Vegan Tortilla Soup.
When a heavy Mexican meal doesn't appeal, make this basic vegan tortilla soup. To give it some weight, feel free to add corn kernels or black beans.
When a heavy Mexican meal doesn't appeal, make this basic vegan tortilla soup. To give it some weight, feel free to add corn kernels or black beans.Â Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups jarred tomato salsa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Zest of 1 lime
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 8 small corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Vegan sour cream to taste
- Vegan shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 large, ripe peeled, pitted and diced avocado
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
More amazing vegan Mexican recipes!
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add salsa and cook, stirring often, for 10 to 12 minutes or until salsa begins to reduce and thicken.
- Add the broth and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, pour 1/4-inch vegetable oil into a frying pan. Bring to medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, add tortilla strips, in batches, and fry until crisp. Do not walk away from the stove, the strips will cook quickly. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Taste soup and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado, and tortilla strips. Serve with lime wedges.