Zesty Lime And Hot Chilies Punctuate This Spicy Rice And Beans Recipe. Serve It As A Vegan Dinner Or Side Dish.
Zesty lime and hot chilies punctuate this spicy rice and beans recipe. Serve it as a vegan dinner or side dish.
Zesty lime and hot chilies punctuate this spicy rice and beans recipe. Serve it as a vegan dinner or side dish.Chili Lime Rice and Beans
- 3Â tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 large red jalapeno, stem end trimmed, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- Generous pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, pinto beans, or kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- Juice of 1 to 2 limes
- Cilantro and/or fresh herbs of your choice for garnish
More tasty dinner recipes!
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cumin and coriander and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add onion,Â jalapeno, and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add rice and Â stir to coat. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in salt, lime zest and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove pan from heat and let rice stand for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Stir in beans, lime juice to taste, and herbs, if desired. Garnish with herbs to serve.